Creative Series : Studio Sandman





Creative Series Q&A with felt artist Studio Sandman


Creative Moxie: Tell us a little about yourself and how you got into creating your felted creations.
Studio Sandman: I am Lithuanian-born, currently studying opera directing in Berlin, Germany. I also create felted animals, baby crib mobiles and nursery decorations. I started felting already while attending high school and it stuck with me up until now. I used to travel a lot - still do - and needed a kind of work that I could always bring along with me. For a while I've also worked as a design consultant, but my own creations have always been the focus of my work.





CM: How do you come up with the design of your felted animals?
I take some wool and start felting. I never draw or sketch.

CM:What gets your creativity flowing?
Messages and letters from my customers telling what positive impact my creations had made to their family lives.

CM:What are your biggest challenges to selling your items and how do you overcome it?
Since I am a full-time student, the biggest challenge is meeting all the orders. Sadly, sometimes the only solution is to cancel some of them.



CM:What advice do you have for new artists?
Don't wait until you have inspiration - just start working and have patience. Through working you will eventually find what resonates with you and what people respond to.

CM:What can we expect from you in the future?
I will soon be launching DIY felting kits, so that's something to look for.

Learn more about Studio Sandman
- Etsy
- Flickr